How to Use This Course
Course: WB 1576
CE Original Date: October 1, 2009
CE Renewal Date: October 1, 2011
CE Expiration Date: October 1, 2013
Download Printer-Friendly version pdf icon[PDF – 1.6MB]
Two versions of the Arsenic Toxicity CSEM are available.
- The HTML version https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/arsenic/cover-page.html provides content through the Internet.
- The downloadable PDF pdf icon[1.43 MB] version provides content in an electronic, printable format, especially for those who may lack adequate Internet service.
- The HTML version offers interactive exercises and prescriptive feedback to the user.
To make the most effective use of this course:
- Take the Initial Check to assess your current knowledge about arsenic toxicity.
- Read the title, learning objectives, text, and key points in each section.
- Complete the progress check exercises at the end of each section and check your answers.
- Complete and submit your assessment and posttest response online if you wish to obtain continuing education credit. Continuing education certificates can be printed immediately upon completion.
This course is designed to help you learn efficiently. Topics are clearly labeled so that you can skip sections or quickly scan sections you are already familiar with. This labeling will also allow you to use this training material as a handy reference. To help you identify and absorb important content quickly, each section is structured as follows:
|Title||Serves as a “focus question” that you should be able to answer after completing the section|
|Learning Objectives||Describes specific content addressed in each section and focuses your attention on important points|
|Text||Provides the information you need to answer the focus question(s) and achieve the learning objectives|
|Key Points||Highlights important issues and helps you review.|
|Progress Check||Enables you to test yourself to determine whether you have mastered the learning objectives|
|Answers||Provide feedback to ensure you understand the content and can locate information in the text|
Upon completion of the Arsenic Toxicity CSEM, you will be able to:
|Exposure Pathways||Identify where in the United States arsenic is found today. Identify the major routes of exposure to arsenic.|
|Who Is at Risk||Identify the populations most heavily exposed to arsenic.|
|Standards and Regulations||Describe U.S. standards for arsenic exposure.|
|Biological Fate||Describe what happens when arsenic enters the body.|
|Physiologic Effects||Describe the ways arsenic induces illness. Describe the health effects associated with arsenic exposure.|
|Clinical Assessment||Identify the primary focuses of the patient history (including the exposure history). Describe the most typical physical findings on patient examination. Describe the tests you would order for patients exposed to arsenic.|
|Treatment and Management||Identify primary strategies for treating arsenic associated diseases.|
|Patient Education and Counseling||Describe instructions for patient self-care.|