How to Use This Course
The goal of Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM) is to increase the primary care provider’s knowledge of hazardous substances in the environment and to help in evaluation and treating of potentially exposed patients. This CSEM focuses on the toxicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
Two versions of the Toxicity of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons CSEM are available.
- The HTML version https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/polycyclic-aromatic-hydrocarbons/cover-page.html provides content through the Internet.
- The downloadable PDF version [546 KB] provides content in an electronic, printable format, especially for those who may lack adequate Internet service.
- The HTML version offers interactive exercises and prescriptive feedback to the user.
To make the most effective use of this course.
- Take the Initial Check to assess your current knowledge about the toxicity of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Read the title, learning objectives, text, and key points in each section.
- Complete the progress check exercises at the end of each section and check your answers.
- Complete and submit your assessment and posttest response online if you wish to obtain continuing education credit. Continuing education certificates can be printed immediately upon completion.
This course is designed to help you learn efficiently. Topics are clearly labeled so that you can skip sections or quickly scan sections you are already familiar with. This labeling will also allow you to use this training material as a handy reference. To help you identify and absorb important content quickly, each section is structured as follows:
|Title||Serves as a “focus question” that you should be able to answer after completing the section|
|Learning Objectives||Describes specific content addressed in each section and focuses your attention on important points|
|Text||Provides the information you need to answer the focus question(s) and achieve the learning objectives|
|Key Points||Highlights important issues and helps you review|
|Progress Check||Enables you to test yourself to determine whether you have mastered the learning objectives|
|Answers||Provide feedback to ensure you understand the content and can locate information in the text|
Upon completion of the Toxicity of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH) CSEM, you will be able to
|Who is at Risk||
|Standards and Regulations||
|Treatment and Management||
|Patient Education and Counseling||